Friday, June 01, 2007

And the runner up is...

Do you know how it feels to come in second place time after time? I do. I feel that way most of the time about my husband. I come second to work, his friends, and his music.

So why, you ask, do I stay? I've been asking myself that very same question today. And the answer is compromise. I have compromised my value to have a man who is monogomous. At least thats how I'm justifying it. I could have both you say? I doubt it. I'm a pretty tough person to deal with and it was hard enough finding a man to put up with all my shenanigans in the first place. Why chase off a good one just because he rather hang with his homies?

I won't lie. I've cried about it. Prayed on it. Vowed not to commit any felonies over it. But as the wife, aren't I entitled to at least FEEL like I'm number 1? Top dog? Nah, hubby hides nothing. He's going to New York the weekend of my birthday and is hanging with his homeboys the week of our 5th Anniversary. Take that!

Most people would be pissed. I was. I mean, I still am a little. But I guess I'm more hurt than anything. Add this with the fact that we're having sex once a MONTH and my self esteem is taking a beating. I'm not cute, not desirable, not wanted. And that fuckin sucks.

But hold the pity party for now. I am, after all, a grown ass woman...so I do know how to cure my blues. And the cure is called retail therapy. I don't need to buy the mall out. I just buy myself a nice "I love myself" gift. Think Tiffany bracelet or necklace...and problem solved. Sounds materialistic but it works. The key to this is, you must buy it yourself. Having him buy it or paying for it from his checking account/credit card is not the same. When you treat yourself to something nice, you are investing in you. And that is, like the commercials say, PRICELESS.

I will rebound from the runner up dumps. I will rebound like Ben Wallace wipin the boards. And I will be fabulous.