Monday, May 21, 2007

A blast from the past that bites you in your...

So, I was walking back to work from lunch last week with my co-worker when we strolled by the Mickey D's in our building. I hear a rap on the glass window and glanced. As did the coworker. Who could it be, tryin to get our attention like this? I looked and looked again. Then I took the shades off to make sure I was seeing correctly...

It was a guy I knew from waaaaay back.

He waved and I waved. And then he left his food and came outside to say hello.

It had been ten years since I had last seen him. He was a youngin back then, me, I was just starting out what would be the hardest years of my life: my 20's. Lets call him Young Buck for the sake of this blog.

Young Buck was a cutie pie back in the day. He a grown ass man now! But more on that in a few.

Young Buck came outside, gave me a hug and said how I been? I introduced him to my coworker and we chatted for a few. Hows your brother? Got any kids? Married? Family is good. No kids, not married. I don't know why, maybe I was getting a vibe from Young Buck or something, but I felt the need to say, "You know I'm married, right? Um Uh, been married for almost 5 years now."

Later, coworker said Young Bucks little face dropped.

But as if to brush off my statement, he said, "You didn't think I would forget your face, did you?" And smiled his little cutie pie smile, the same way I remembered it back in the day.

As you can guess, Young Buck had a crush on me back then. I was the older lady that didn't look old. And, I would go out with guys younger than me. Okay, okay...why lie? I was sticking up the nurserys at the hospitals something awful. But at that time, I was going out with Young Buck's best friends brother (who WAS my age AND a dog) and there were a variety of other factors that also played into our not hooking up. But the chief one wasn't age...let me tell ya that.

So Young Buck looks good. Damn good. He's a grown ass man now. And when I said, "Damn, the last time I seen you...was about 10 years ago. You must be twenty-something now..." He said with a straight face, "Umm, I'm 28". I was like WHOA! Wit my old ass.

All of that being said, I still eyed him up and the first thought that popped into my head was, "He look good but he don't look good enough to cheat on my husband." I guess I had gotten all of my playa-playa, cradle robbin out in the 90's. And that is a good thing...

I know for certain that I only have two types of ex's:

The ones who will be like, "Oh, hey - you still look good" or "Man, you was my baby back in dem days"

or

The ones who will be like, "Fuck her, I hate her ass" or "That bitch is..."

There is no middle ground when it comes to the ex's. I'm prepared for anything. Gettin crazy dap or a psycho runnin up to me on the Metro like, "Bitch, you broke my heart twenty years ago..."

I'd like to think that the men I left behind don't hold any animosty or hard feelings...but I'd just be lying to myself. And whats the point of that? If I'm real honest with myself, I'd say that the ex's are split an even 50/50 for those that love/hate me all these years later. At least I'd like to think they are. I could be surprised. But NOTHING! Nothing could be a bigger surprise than the boost my ego got from a 28 year old that remembered his crush back in the day.

Awwwww...