Thursday, April 05, 2007

First of all -

Can someone please provide me a scientific reason why it was 70+ degrees outside just 3 days ago and today I had to break out my Eddie Bauer bear coat again? This don't make no damn sense. I know, I know..."an inconvienient truth", right?!

Remember the women's retreat I told yall about a couple of posts ago? Well, thats coming up soon...next week in fact. I am really excited. Maybe because I think I am all too deserving of a spa weekend or maybe I am just happy to be getting away for a few days...not sure.

Interesting story of the week:

My oldest child (step-daughter) is 13 years old. She called my cell phone on Tuesday and asked if we could go shopping. When asked why, she said she didn't have to wear a uniform Wednesday b/c they were taking personality pictures. In case your not from this area, personality pictures are just casual photos taken with friends (or by yourself). I took them when I was in high school, my brother took them, almost everyone I know took them. At any rate, I told her that I would call her Daddy (hubby) and see if he could pick her up since I don't get home until about 7 pm. He said yes. Then oldest child calls me back to see if her cousin could come with us. Told her yes, but to be clear that I wasn't buying her (cousin) an outfit too. That was cool. So off we go to the mall down the street. I give her $40 and tell her to take her cousin and her little sister (the youngest) with her while I ran into a few stores. She ends up doing well with the $40 - she got a jeans skirt and two pair of those leggings these kids are wearing now. Still in need of a shirt and shoes...ends up getting deals on BOTH. First we go into Rack Room where she wants a pair of...VANS. Vans! I exclaim. Well, hell, if I'd of known they be back in style, I would of kept me a pair from 20 years ago! Anyway - the shoes are buy one pair get a 2nd pair half off so I just looked at her and said, "Go get another pair". She looked at me like it was Christmas. "Okay" and the back of her head was all I saw. Then we knocked out the shirts with a 2 for $20 deal and she was done. Success!

The interesting part of this story is that no sooner had I walked through the front door of my home, did the phone ring with the middle child (also step daughter) on the line. She said, "Uh, are you going to take me shopping too next time?" THE QUESTION REEKED OF HUBBY's BABY MOMMA. It seemed to me that she had put her up to calling and asking. I had been told by her sister that the reason she didn't come was b/c she had soccer practice. But! I also reiterated to child that if she needed a special outfit or anything at all, she could just call her daddy and me and we would work it out. She was fine with that.

There are two things here in this situation that I'd like to address:

First is, this child (the middle child) is not at all interested in keeping up with the stuff that her sister has. She's not petty nor materialistic in that way. Thats how I deduce she was probably coerced into the phone call by her triflin momma. Can't you just hear *sucking teeth*, "Why she ain't buy YOU anything?!"

Second is, the relationship between me and hubbys baby momma is actually quite civilized. We have never argued. We don't beef. We attend the children's functions and get along ok. This is not to say we are friends. We aren't. But we both focus on the kids and it works for us. But for the 6 years I have known my husband, I can honestly say that his baby moms doesn't know what to do with herself or her money. She keeps getting put out of crap-ass apartments. She spends her tax refund money on a bedroom set for...herself. She receives child support and she still can't buy a $0.69 poster board for her childs school projects? For a while, I figured she had some secret crack habit. For all I know she spends it on her girlfriends (cuz thats what shes into now) and Mystic tickets. Who knows?

I was pissed about it for a while b/c it was just so TYPICAL but then I thought, "Be happy. At least your kids know who to call when they really need something."