Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Well, where the hell did the last year go?!

I am pleased to report that Christmas was a major success! My three girls did very well between the presents, cash and gift cards they received. Hubby and I didn't do too bad either! A great time was had by all.

So, I worked two days last week: Wednesday from 9am - 2pm and Thursday from 11am to 4:30pm. Needless to say, it was a highly unproductive week but I didn't mind coming in for a few hours...I actually had year end stuff that needed to be done.

Thursday evening I took my youngest daugther, my niece and my sister to see High School Musical at Verizon Center. The plan was to get plastered before going in but don't you know we were running late and that those tiny bottles of White Zen are $7.00 a piece?! I would of had to commit to a dozen mini bottles to get anywhere near a buzz. So why bother?

First, if you don't know about High School Musical or any other Disney Channel production, you either don't have nary child in your entire family or you've been hiding under a rock. No, really...when it comes to consumer dollars, no one promotes and markets to the under 16 demographic better than Disney Channel. This is the reason every single one of their child stars gets their own show or music video or something...Also the reason The Cheetah Girls sold more records than other popular, more talented acts a few years ago. Don't fake on the power of the tween dollar...they pay a lot of these big execs salaries!

Anyways, back to the show. It wasn't as bad as one might think. Granted, I would not have chosen to spend a Thursday night with 10,000 children three days after Christmas but hey...you do it for the kids. This just so happened to be my 7 year olds very first concert. She was tickled pink the entire time. We had awesome seats on the floor, seven rows from the front of the stage. On the way home she turns to me and says, "Mommy...that was my first and best show EVAH!!!!". It really was a beautiful moment.

Now my thirteen year old, she's been going to concerts for years. Daddy gave her tickets to see Bow Wow on Friday and also the show on Sunday night. She's at the age where you put on the flyy outfit and try to be seen by all your friends at school. Back in my day, it was Go-Go Live, Madness hats and Run Joe. Now its Scream Tour, apple bottoms and Omarion. Go figure.

I found the real reason for the season on that Friday after the HSM show. I had told my three girls that I would take them shopping so they could spend their gift cards. So we headed up to Annapolis Mall and I laid down the shopping rules, gave them all limits and off we went. Boy, when I say we shopped til we (almost) dropped...I mean it! Oldest child got fuzzy boots and matching top for Bow Wow show that night. Middle child got a Spongebob Monopoly game that she's been wanting (who knew?) and youngest got a book(!) and a baby doll. I got a top and paid for lunch. So where you ask, is the joy in THAT?! Well, quite honestly the joy to me, was in the fact that I COULD afford to take my girls on a shopping spree and that we spent a good couple of hours just hanging out together. And we didn't go over budget! I just felt very blessed to be in that position.

If 2006 taught me anything, it was to expect the unexpected! I honestly only have a few goals for 2007. 1) I'd like to get my gift basket website up and running. 2) I'd like to lose a few pounds...like 65, ideally. 3) I'd like to spend more time with family and friends. 4) I'd like to host a Haunted Halloween Party at our house in October. That's it. Doesn't sound too hard does it? HA! Throw in the family reunion cruise, 3 childrens birthday parties and a 5th wedding anniversary and I'm broke by the *what?!* 3rd of JANUARY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home