Monday, October 05, 2009

CORPORATE SNOBBERY vs BROWN-NOSING

Let's face it, once you've been in the corporate world long enough, you run into one of these two. Or both. It was my unfortunate destiny to run into such a situation last week. As you recall, my last post was a little, um, frustrated towards the end. But anyway, for the uninitiated...

Corporate snobbery. In my opinion, worse than brown-nosing. Corporate snobbery is when a mid-level manager tries to flex their so-called power. You see, mid-level executives are smack dab in the middle of the food chain. Low enough that they can be screamed on by the big dogs but JUST high enough that when they do get screamed on, they can piss on the low man on the totem pole...like an assistant or clerk or whatever. This is what happened last week. I found myself thrown out there by a mid-level manager and it was crazy. Not because I'm not used to being thrown under the bus. Been there. But because the person that pushed me under was another minority female that I actually respected. My feelings were definitely hurt by the whole situation. But after a spa weekend...fuck it. Life goes on.

Brown-nosing is what it is. Its any level employee kissin ass to advance. Whether its to get the ideal schedule, a pay raise or just curry favor with management, a brown-noser heaps on the compliments to those who probably don't deserve anything but a swift kick in the ass.

Study your words for today, there will be a quiz next time!