Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Yesterday, when I first thought about this post - I was going to just skewer Kayne West for his outburst at the MTV Awards.

This morning, I saw the video from Jay Leno and I have decided to tone it down...just a little bit.

We all know what happened...KW jumped on stage during Taylor Swift's acceptance speech, said he thought B shoulda won, stunned the crowd and handed TS the mic back. Later, when B won, she gave Taylor the time to say her Thank You's. It was a very classy yet expected (in my opinion) move. It was the right thing to do.

He twittered an apology that night. But I was unmoved until I saw the video from his interview with Leno. There's a point where Jay Leno says that he had the chance to meet KW's mom and wanted to know what Kayne thought his late mother woulda said. Silence. I thought Kayne would lose it. I really did. KW admits that he was "wrong" and it was "rude". Those were truly the two words that I was waiting to hear in his apology. But the true disgrace of his actions was in what he did not say. It was the uncomfortable silence that permeated the room in those 25 seconds. HE KNEW HIS MOMMA RAISED HIM BETTER THAN THAT!

I also feel like he hasn't dealt with his mother's passing. Maybe that explains why he needs that limelight, that shine, that attention.

For whatever reason, uncontrollable outbursts have been sprouting up all over the place. Serena at the US Open. The congressman at Obama's speech. Kayne. Has the whole world gone and got coprolalia?

I think not. I believe in free speech. I believe that you should be able to be heard even when your opinion is vastly different than anyone/everyone elses. I also believe in respect and decorum. A time and a place for everything. Kayne had the right to speak his mind. He did not, however, have to steal someone else's glory to do so.

Okay, enough on that.

I celebrated seven years of marriage last week. A feat that my hubby and I really don't take for granted. Its been hard work, people. But I love my husband as much (maybe even more) than the day I married him.