Thursday, January 17, 2008

NC-15

I know at some point, I have mentioned that I am an Aunt to 7 nieces and 2 nephews. I have one brother and two sisters: each of us have 3 kids. You do the math. At any rate, the children range from 15 to 8 years old.

My eldest niece ("NC") is a 15 year old freshman in high school. Her father, my brother, just divulged to me that she recently lost her virginity! *GASP* His reaction...to take her out of school. Can anyone say, "knee-jerk" reaction?!

Now, I don't agree with that course of action, but I digress. All I know is that I named this child, taught her how to walk, and took her to get her ears pierced. I endured countless recitals, performances and so on. She was my FIRST baby. Long before my daughters, my neice was there.

So you can imagine how shocked I am about this revelation. I went home immediately and called a friend. I ended up talking for 4 hours to her. Therapy by phone.

My brother...he's on the verge of cutting this boys balls off. My sister in law, the RN, wants to explain it in clinical terms and then bust out with, "just DON'T do it!" And my husband, "oh, the thought of this has me scarred for life", is in complete and utter denial. You see, if the 15 year old niece has done it, our 14 year old daughter is hot on her heels. And that's not a stretch.

Do I think they are fast-asses? No. I think they're 14 and 15 year old girls with their hormones raging and their bodies developing and their emotions running amok.

And just when I get a hold of myself...and believe me it took all of last night and all of today...I think...Lawd, save me...I have to go through this with 3 of my own children and all six of my remaining neices.

Condolences may be sent to: The DJ's Wife c/o St. E's Psychiatric Ward, Washington, DC.