Thursday, December 21, 2006

What a difference a year makes!

I'm going to be real honest with ya'll...this has been one crazy ass year for me! This time last year, I was in employment HELL! My company sold out to the highest bidder, my job was leading nowhere, the chick in the cubicle next to me was so ghetto-fab, she had a go-go flick on her desk in the original Mr. G frame, spouses and children weren’t invited to the holiday “party” and to top it all off, we were expected to go a whopping 3 ½ weeks between paychecks…at Christmas time. It was a disaster and the new year was not looking pretty. Still I maintained.

Well, don't you know as soon as the calendar flipped to 2006, the sell outs at my company flipped their lids too? Yes, the partners all got checks with two commas in them...the administrative staff (ie. the people that make your shit look good and do all the damn work!)...got a kick in the ass and was told to move the hell over for the "old" employees. And lets not get started on the raggedy bunch that they were!

By February, gals were coming to work physically sick, waking up each morning in tears cuz they had to come into the shit hole work had become. We needed...prayer! We'd call the assistants together and huddle in the mail room begging and pleading for some divine intervention!! This is not a joke, it was serious stress in that joint!

By the first Tuesday in March, one of my closest friends at work, quit on the spot. She called her boyfriend to pick her up, flew past my desk murmuring "fuck this, fuck that" and stormed out, mad as hell. When I finally figured out what was going on (about the time she was stuffing the dozen or so pair of shoes from under her desk in a bag), it was a wrap, folks. Two days later, I pulled nearly the same stunt after being offered and accepting my current position. 'Tis life...lets keep it movin'!

Two weeks later, I started at my new company. I am pleased to report that I am respected, appreciated and mind you, compensated, for being...ME! The same me with the same skills. I gots no chickenheads running around not knowing they ass from they elbow. Only grown folks need apply for this company. I had been with the company for maybe a month, when I got flowers and a gift card for Admin's day. The old company, we got a catered lunch and a speech from the President. Gee, thanks. This year, my husband and daughter were invited to a very elegant, yet informal holiday party that was the most fun I had had at an office party in a really long time. And instead of getting a hard time about taking a few days off between Christmas and New Years, you know what my company gave me? A nice box of Godiva chocolates, a Starbucks gift card and a Macy's gift card with respectable value. Thanks! I went to Metro Center today at lunch and finally picked up my much needed boots...in brown AND black. Now thats what I call progress!

By the end of the summer, ALL (not some but ALL) of the assistants had left. Most stayed in the industry. Some ventured out in new directions. Talk to the gals now and its a whole new game. Folks are happy! Hell, we even created a newsletter to keep up with all the co-workers that flew the coop.

In the end, its not always about title, pay and who gets the glory. Sometimes its about knowing your own worth. Most of the time, though, its about peace of mind. I celebrate finding mine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home