Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Karrine, Carmen & Kim

A friend at work asked me last week if I had read the new Essence. I was like, "Whose on the cover?" When she told me that Diddy and Kim Porter were, I rolled my eyes. Let me be clear, I'm a true Diddy hater. I think he's full of himself and expects people to treat him like the Pope. Him and Kanye are the biggest egos in the entertainment industry and what have they really done? Diddy's biggest contribution to hip hop will be that he "discovered" Biggie. No more. No less. And Kayne...he's the biggest cry baby ever. But I'm getting sidetracked here.

So I went online and printed out the Essence article and here is my impression: Kim Porter is a fool and Diddy came off as the self-absorbed pinhead that I thought he was. In the article, he "boasts" that all kinds of women want him but "...if a woman approaches me, she's going to feel like she's stepping up for the championship of the world". There are so many wrongs in that one statement, I can't even dignify. He also states that "she completes me" but obviously NOT since he's still working on being a complete boyfriend and not a complete father/husband. Perplexing.

Now as for his baby momma - she got all kinds of issues. She came off really racist with the "little Puerto Rican girlfriend" comment and the "does she look like the type that would want to play house and family with two little Black kids?" remark. HOLD UP! Did Jenny LoLo steal your man or did your man walk off with his own two legs? Hmmmm....for two years he flaunted his "not real" relationship. Wrote songs for the girlfriend and maintained that he would always love her even though she was dating and marrying other men. But that was okay! Because he was still calling her 50-60 times a day!

And then when Diddy said that "I'm used to applause when I walk in the room"...I wanted to hurl all over my desktop. But then again, what do we really expect from a man that pays someone to hold an umbrella for him?

The long and short of the Essence article is this: Kim Porter got herself three kids and no commitment from her narcisstic, egotistical jackass of a "boyfriend"...but everything is hunky-dory. It's all love. I saved the article to show my daughter when she gets older. So she will know that babies don't guarantee a commitment and self esteem is so much more important than having and keeping a man.

Now, on to Carmen Bryan (Nas' baby momma) and Karrine Stephens (aka Supahead & supposedly Kool G Raps baby momma)...

I haven't read these books by these two women. However, I have read many articles on them and their exploits, and having some insight into the music and entertainment biz, I can speak to the stories they are trying to tell.

Is there money in being a groupie? I suppose there is, hence the book deals, articles, and tv shows written about women who get knocked up by someone famous. Is there any glory in being a groupie. I think not. Groupies are booty-calls to whatever hotel in whatever city. They are the girls you call to put on a thong and be fillers in your video. They are not wifey material. Rappers and athletes don't often marry groupies and they damn sure don't sport them in public.
Lets start with Karrine. She wants money and she wants a lifestyle. She thought she could get it by having sex with athletes and rappers. She was, for the most part, wrong. Sure, they put you in their videos and they mighta bought you a car and a crib, some jewelry and clothes, but eventually...the video won't be in rotation, your car will breakdown, your crib will get too small, your jewelry will seem too insignificant and your clothes will be out of season.

Carmen thought her golden ticket was punched when she had Nas' baby. Things didn't work out, she supposedly slept with a few more stars and now she has a book to tell us all about it. There's not that much else to say. Sure, she could bash Kelis' step-parenting skills but whats the point of that? She's not going to get her baby daddy back and with it being public knowledge that she's slept with so-and-so, her chances of finding that brass ring are significantly lower.

Folks, we will have to continue this topic at another time...when K-Fed's book hits the stores and its in the 99 cent bin at the Salvation Army. LOL

The lesson learned for today is this: "Money affords nice things but it doesn't buy happiness", as I tell my daughters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home